To a Japanese Aikido teacher and engineer, Katsuzo Nishi, was told that he will live no longer than 20 years due to his unusually weak body. In order to make better his health condition, Katsuzo Nishi did all that he could. Since his parents put him in a Buddhist monastery, Katsuzo took the chance and learned plenty of things about swordplay and meditation techniques.
As he grew older Katsuzo discovered countless literature that interested him, he read numerous contemporary books that were written by some modern doctors and also by ancient treatments about European and Eastern medicine. Afterwards, he even wrote his own book, in which Katsuzo Nishi set up his system for body strengthening. The book has been published in theyear1927 when Katsuzo Nishi had 44 years.
Here are 6 rules that you could find in his book, and it gained plenty of attention as this was explained even 90 years ago.
First Rule: A Hard Back
The spinal curving may damage our organs and cause serious problems. That’s the reason why we need to maintain our back very strong and healthy. We have to control the posture during the whole day and even at night. The teacher said that keeping your spine straight is going to make you taller for 2 cm, and it also is beneficial for our digestive organs as well as for the circulation of the body.
Second Rule: Use A Solid Roller Rather Than Pillow
According to the Japanese people, scoliosis of the neck is the first indication which shows that the life of that person is shortening. During the day we are able to control the head position, but the hard thing is to control it during the night. Katsuzo suggest to get some more solid pillow or some roller and place it on the third or fourth neck vertebrae.
Third Rule: The Goldfish Exercise
- For this exercise you need to lie on some solid surface
- Gently stretch the hands up
- Put the soles vertically on the ground
- You should stretch the left sole forward and the left hand up but don’t remove them from the ground. You need to repeat the same movements for the opposite feet and hand
- Now, you should place your embraced hand under the neck, crossing them across the third and the fourth vertebrae of the neck
- Join your legs and then, to some extent, spread the feet to the sides
- Now, you should move the feet right and left, so the body vibrates
- You need to repeat the exercise for around two minutes
Fourth Rule: Improve The Capillary Circulation
- You need to lie on some hard surface
- Then, you should put a hard roller under the third and fourth vertebrae of the neck
- Raise your arms and legs, slightly bend the elbows and the knees and just relax
- Shake the legs and arms
- You should repeat the exercise for around 1 to 3 minutes
Fifth Rule: Joining The Arms And Soles
- You need to join your palms together upright to the body. Then press your fingertips on both of your hands together, repeat it and press together tight until you reach the palms. Keeping your palms pushed together, you need to lift up the hands, and then place them back on your solar plexus.
- Place the connected palms right behind the head without changing your position, then put them back on the solar plexus.
- Now, put the connected palms on the solar plexus, move them towards the legs, after that move the hands back and forth from the breast to the groin. Repeat it 10 times.
- You need to raise the connected palms vertical to the solar plexus, move to your legs, after that you should put them behind the head.
- Place your palms back onto the solar plexus, then raise them, and simply start moving the legs forward and backward but remember to keep joint together your soles.
- You need to mix both the leg and the hand movements, and in case you feel some pain, you can lower the amount of repetitions. You should try this position with closed eyes for around 10 minutes.
Sixth Rule: A Stomach And Spine Exercise
- For this exercise you need to move your shoulders up and down, however make sure to not change the arms position.
- Move your hands back in the initial position and gently bend the head in the direction of your left shoulder. Repeat this for the right shoulder.
- Place the hands on the sole and you need to raise the head up with the chin facing upwards. Now, lower the head so that the chin starts touching the breasts.
- You should raise the arms to the sides, just make sure to keep them parallel to the ground and bend the elbows. Raise the hands in front of the face, round the back, then touch the chest with the chin.
- You need to spread the hands out by the side, join the shoulder blades, straighten the back, then throw back your head, and remain in this position for around 7 seconds.
- You should sit in the first position and just repeat the first exercise. Remain in this position for around 10 minutes.